Laparotomic reposition of acute postpartal uterine inversion
M. Uhlířová; M. Málek
Authors‘ workplace: Gynekologicko-porodnické oddělení, Nemocnice Třebíč, p. o.
Published in: Ceska Gynekol 2023; 88(2): 92-94
Category: Case Report
Acute uterine inversion is a rare but one of the most serious complications of childbirth. This condition is defined as the collapse of the fundus into the uterine cavity. Maternal mortality and morbidity are reported to be 41%. In the management of uterine inversion, early diagnosis, anti-shock measures and attempting manual repositioning as soon as possible are important. If the initial manual repositioning fails, it is necessary to proceed with surgical intervention. Administration of uterotonic agents is recommended after successful reposition. This recommendation helps uterine contraction, thereby preventing recurrence of the inversion. If reposition is repeatedly unsuccessful, then a hysterectomy may be necessary. The aim of this paper is to present a case report from our department.
maternal mortality – uterine inversion – peripartum life-threating bleeding
1. Roztočil A, Binder T, Borek I et al (eds). Moderní porodnictví. 1. vyd. Praha: Grada Publishing 2008: 408.
2. Wendel MP, Shnaekel KL, Magann EF. Uterine inversion: a review of a life-threatening obstetrical emergency. Obstet Gynecol Surv 2018; 73 (7): 411–417. doi: 10.1097/OGX.0000000000000580.
3. Pauleta R, Rodrigues R, Melo A et al. Ultrasonographic diagnosis of incomplete uterine inversion. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2010; 36 (2): 260–261. doi: 10.1002/uog.7735.
4. Vieira GT, Dos Santos GH, Júnior JB et al. Non-puerperal uterine inversion associated with myomatosis. Rev Assoc Med Bras 2019; 65 (2): 130–135. doi: 10.1590/1806-92126.96.36.199.
5. Pechová E, Bydžovská I, Krausová M et al. Akutní inverze dělohy po porodu. Ceska Gynekol 2016; 81 (5): 394–397.
6. Beringer R, Patteril M. Puerperal uterine inversion and shock. Br J Anaesth 2004; 92 (3): 439–441. doi: 10.1093/bja/aeh063.
7. Leal RF, Luz RM, de Almeida JP et al. Total and acute uterine inversion after delivery: a case report. J Med Case Rep 2014; 8: 347. doi: 10.1186/1752-1947-8-347.
LabelsPaediatric gynaecology Gynaecology and obstetrics Reproduction medicine
Article was published in
2023 Issue 2
Most read in this issue
- Specifics of infertility treatment in women with premature ovarian failure
- A novel injection technique for ilioinguinal nerve block for post-operative pain relief in caesarean delivery – a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
- Anti-Müllerian hormone – clinical use and future possibilities
- Prevalence and risk factors for serious birth concerns in unselected population of mothers